Kibsons, the UAE’s leading importer, wholesaler, distributor since 1982, and award winning online retailer of fresh fruit and vegetables, dairy products, meat and more, recently opened their new head office and cold storage warehouse in Dubai, to accommodate rapid growth and incorporate the latest global cold chain technologies and industry’s first wholesale and grocery fulfilment capabilities.
Family owned and operated since 1982, Kibsons has come a long way since its retail shop beginnings in Dubai’s Fruit and Vegetable Market. Having rapidly expanded over the years, continually acquiring more shop units in the area and being home to over 600 employees, Kibsons recently unveiled their new purpose built 130,000 sq ft head office, tripling their space to incorporate all warehousing, fulfilment, cold store facilities, meat processing and operations for the company as it embarks on an exciting period of growth, both within the market and regionally and supports the company’s growth strategy and commitment to providing local jobs.
Kibson’s New Head Office & Expansion Plans:
- Kibsons are true pioneers in the fruit, vegetable and grocery industry, revolutionizing the grocery shopping experience for UAE consumers. They are now one of the biggest e-commerce players in the fresh produce market, with Kibsons home delivery being one of the fastest growing segments of the business, fulfilling over 2,500 home delivery orders per day. The new site will enable up to 10,000 orders per day – enabling local and regional growth.
- Kibsons new head office is based in Dubai Fruit and Vegetable Market with 130,000 sq ft of warehousing and cold store facilities supporting expansion of their meat processing facilities and office accommodation – 3 times the size of their previous site.
- New Cold Chain Management capabilities sets company apart not only regionally, but internationally with state-of-the-art technology and capabilities including an avocado and banana ripening facility.
- All operations across their retail channels, cold store facilities, meat processing factory and refrigerated distribution fleet of more than 100 vehicles are HACCP certified and supported by state-of-the-art equipment and technology.
- Kibsons currently distribute more than 250,000 kilos of fresh produce daily – this capability will triple at the new site.
- Kibsons will also triple its meat processing capabilities and launch a new meat breading line, making 40 skus for wholesale locally and internationally.
- Now much more than a fruit and vegetable delivery company, category expansion is a key future strategy – enabling Kibsons to be the one stop shop for all grocery needs. Vegan, personal care, homecare, babycare, pet food and pantry items are key expansion areas.
- Free same day delivery for all fresh produce sets Kibsons apart in the market and delivery times remain the same, even with increased daily fulfillment.
- Technology and developments to the website and the delivery Apps will continue to be made to enhance the customer experience and ease of ordering.
- Kibsons aims to expand to other parts of the region within 2 years.
- Kibsons have continued to maintain and grow workforce even in a difficult economic climate. Kibsons has grown from 20 to 600 staff in the past 2 decades and the new Head Office will create more than 200 new jobs, with more than 800 staff at the site.
- Company continues to be run by the hands-on founding family Jamal Hussain and Halima Jumani who are dedicated to creating a world class, technologically advanced, eco and ethical business.
As part of their future strategy and development plans, Kibsons are heavily committed to developing an eco and ethical business and reducing the carbon footprint of their company wherever possible. Current and future initiatives include:
Kibson’s current & future eco initiatives:
- Kibsons new site includes a state-of-the-art water recycling technology enabling 100,000 gallons of water to be recycled each day, minimising wastage from operations.
- Orders are delivered in recyclable paper or oxo-biodegradable plastic and Kibsons are continuously looking at new products and packaging technologies to reduce their environmental footprint and aim to be a totally paperless environment by mid 2020.
- Kibsons are working with suppliers globally to find alternative packaging solutions to reduce the consumption of single use plastic.
- Customers are encouraged to return delivery boxes to be recycled and currently over 50% of all boxes are returned. New initiatives to increase this are being developed.
- For years, Kibsons has proven its dedication to supporting local and organic and is strengthened by partnerships with the largest organic farms and brands in the UAE.
- Globally, Kibsons pride themselves on only working with Fair Trade Companies. They are committed to championing new and exciting brands and removing barriers to entry for small start-up businesses due to no listing fees. They aim to connect their customers with the best homegrown and international brands, all of which have been thoroughly tested and scrutinised against many criteria by Kibson’s procurement team.
- Kibsons remain committed to educating and enabling consumers on the importance of nutritional health and wellness and offering premium produce at affordable prices, conveniently delivered to homes, so healthy eating can easily become part of anyone’s lifestyle.
“In building our own custom-made head office, we have allowed ourselves to incorporate every element necessary for future proofing and developing our business for the next ten years. We have been able to focus on the cold chain technology which is necessary to maintain both quality and freshness within the fresh produce industry. This is a giant step in our journey. We are delighted with our new headquarters and excited for what it opens up for us and what we will be able to deliver to our customers,” said Head of Operations and part of the founding family, Halima Jumani.
Kibsons Head Office is now fully operational, and hiring is ongoing throughout 2019 and beyond.
For more information, please visit www.kibsons.com or follow them on @Kibsons.